Friday, May 09, 2008

Take another little piece of my heart



"A cake for my new mommy"

We had a seven year girl staying with us from Sunday to Wednesday, while she was in between foster homes. I won't go into her very sad story except to say that we were warned that she would display a lot of inappropriate behaviors and she did not exhibit any of them while she was here. She was fun to have around, got along great with our kids and doted on Baby Grrl. Somehow, I got attached to her in just four days. After she left I burst into tears and have been kind of down ever since. I really miss her and would have gladly taken care of her forever. There, I said it. I felt like we had a real connection and that I could have helped her so much if only she could have stayed with us longer. It didn't help that she called me Mommy from day one. From now on, I will be sure to have kiddoes who stay with us for respite care call me "Aunt Bess". I also forgot to take her picture-- and she was an exceptionally beautiful child with gorgeous, long blonde hair and dazzling blue eyes-- but I do have these two lovely pieces of artwork that she made for me while she was here.

This is one for me to put in Baby Grrl's room, "to remember me by," she said.

I will always remember listening to Dan Zanes and coloring that poster with her at our kitchen table as we waited for strangers to come and take her to a new foster home. She insisted she was being adopted even though I tried to tell her she was going to a new foster home. She was so brave. As you can see from the poster, there is a lot of color in her world and I hope it stays that way.

2 comments:

Taueret said...

I don't know how you do it Jessa. big big hugs. love, Hope

Anonymous said...

I so admire your strength!! Even though it was such a short time, I truly believe that you were able to touch that girl in such a way that she will remember it for the rest of her life.

Jenn